Summer days have arrived in Rowan County! Whether you're searching for an escape from the heat, outdoor festival and anything in between, you're in for an original experience when you visit Rowan County.
- It's the perfect time to pack a picnic basket, blanket and an ice cold Cheerwine for an evening of Movies in the Park hosted by Salisbury's Parks and Recreation Department. This annual series lasts six weeks and will feature your favorite characters larger than life on a gigantic 25 foot inflatable screen accompanied by state-of-the-art sound. Occuring every 2 weeks on Fridays from 9 - 11 p.m.
- Cool off with a sizzling performance of Disney's "High School Musical 2" presented by Piedmont Players. We're all in this together… again! The wildly successful Disney's High School Musical team is back with another adventure for everyone's favorite Wildcats. On the last day of junior year, the East High gang can't wait to get the summer started – they're ready for summer jobs, money for college and to have fun. To that end, Troy gets them all jobs at Lava Springs Country Club – which happens to be owned by popular girl, Sharpay's, father! While Sharpay schemes to steal Troy's heart from Gabriella, her brother, Ryan, hopes to win the Star Dazzle Award. Everything comes to a head at the talent show, where the group has to remember their motto: "All for one, and one for all." Tickets are on sale now at www.piedmontplayers.com. Production dates are July 12-15 and 19-21.
- Farmers Day in China Grove has grown to become one of the best street festivals in North Carolina with attendance estimated at over 15,000 visitors annually. Held on the third Saturday in July, open ceremonies begin at 9 a.m.. Fireworks will cap off the night at 9:30 p.m. This family-friendly festival is fun for all ages and is a great celebration of Rowan's agriculture!
- Historic Gold Hill offers a spooky step back in time with their annual Ghost Walk on Saturday, July 28 at 7 p.m. At five stops on the tour, hear tales about Gold Hill's local ghosts and hauntings. Guided walks are $5/person and children under six are free.
- Cool off with the 5th annual Dragon Boat Festival at High Rock Lake on Saturday, July 28. Competitors will race for the finish line in a wide-array of colorful Dragon Boats. Food vendors will be onsite including Cheerwine and local breweries and wineries. Enjoy entertainment during the lunch break, with a Drummer's Parade and raffle.
- Good times are brewing in Spencer, North Carolina with the North Carolina Transportation Museum's first ever craft beer festival. On Saturday, August 11 from 5 - 9 p.m. enjoy this family-friendly festival featuring outdoor games, music, food trucks and much more! Brew & Choo is free to attend. Beer and food will be available for purchase. During the event special train rides will be offered, ticket required. Train rides will give event goers the opportunity to sample exclusively brewed beer by local breweries. Riders will also receive a souvenir glass and salty snack. Tickets are on sale and available at www.nctrans.org.
- Nothing is better than a juicy flavorful tomato homegrown in Rowan County! Whether you call it a fruit or vegetable, you can enjoy it at Woodleaf's annual Tomato Festival on Saturday, August 18 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Enjoy the parade and Little Miss Tomato contest along with many other activities and vendors.
- Tap your toes to the sounds of live bluegrass music and spend a relaxing evening with family and friends on the historic Hall House lawn at Blankets and Bluegrass on August 19 from 6 to 8 p.m.! BYOB and a picnic, or Rustic Roots food truck will be on hand with delicious dinner offerings using fresh, local ingredients.