We hope your 2018 was full of joy and you're looking ahead to a prosperous 2019. In the season of trying to come up with new year’s resolutions and life changes, we’re here to help. Your 2019 new year's resolution? Take a trip to Rowan County!
Rowan County is bustling with activities for you and your family. We’ve put together a list of 10 ways you should be spending 2019 with us in Rowan County!
- Explore the Arts: Art isn’t just a tourist attraction in Rowan County. It’s part of our culture and creative spirit. Explore original plays presented by Lee Street Theatre and Piedmont Players, visit Waterworks Visual Arts Center to take in exhibits, or follow the Salisbury Sculpture Show. We’re proud of the arts in Rowan County.
- Explore Rowan County’s original Breweries & Wineries: Rowan County is no stranger to the craft beer and wine trends. Our landscape is covered with quiet countryside and downtown districts. Our breweries and wineries can deliver views, good eats and your favorite beverage. Try out New Sarum Brewing Company or head over to Morgan Ridge Railwalk Brewery & Eatery, an extension of Morgan Ridge Vineyards in Gold Hill. Both are located in the heart of Downtown Salisbury. If wine is more of your style, check out one of our original wineries like Cauble Creek Vineyard, Douglas Vineyards and Morgan Ridge Vineyards.
- Take a step back in History: Rowan County is a place where history is of high value. The county boasts 11 National Register districts, five Local Historic districts, several museums, three house museums and a meticulously restored depot that has been featured at the Smithsonian and in well-known movies. Try out the Salisbury Heritage Walking Tour, take a step back in time at the Historic Hall House, learn about what moves you at the North Carolina Transportation Museum. History enthusiasts flock to the Historic National Cemetery and Confederate State Prison, while those seeking to know where they came from spend their hours in the Edith M. Clack History/Genealogy Room. No matter what type of history buff you claim to be, you can find it here.
- Explore the Great Outdoors: Rowan County is an outdoor haven. Hiking at Eagle Point Nature Preserve, fishing at Tamarac Marina, bird watching at Dunn’s Mountain Park, swimming and boating on High Rock Lake, and so much more! Cyclists love our Bicycling Rowan County 226-mile system linking cities, towns, points of interest and recreational areas through our communities. We’ve got golfing, baseball, disc golf and everything your outdoor heart desires!
- Take a walk in the Park: Rowan County is known for Dan Nicholas Park, a 425-acre park filled with paddle boating, fishing, Rowan Wildlife Adventures, miniature golf, miniature train rides and more, but did you know we’ve got lots of other parks too? Ellis Park provides ample space for recreational activities, the Fred and Alice Stanback Educational Forest and Nature preserve offers walking trails, the Gold Hill Mines Historic Park is a historic theme park at the site of the Barnhardt and Randolph Gold Mines, Hurley Park brings the woodlands, streams and gardens for quiet reflection, and there’s more where those came from! Whether you need a day alone or a fun filled day for family, Rowan County has a park for that.
- Pick Your Own Farms: Rowan County has a rich agricultural history. We’re rooted in the land. From roadside produce stands, to farmer’s markets, all the way to pick your own farms, you haven’t truly experienced Rowan County until you’ve experienced our produce. Patterson Farm is known for their pick your own strawberries, Huffman’s is known for their peaches, Elium’s brings the berries and Pine Top Farm has your choose and cut Christmas Trees. All of our farms offer fresh produce, or you can find it at local farmers markets and produce stands!
- Shopping: Some days call for retail therapy, and there’s no better therapy than Rowan County’s original shops and boutiques. From antique stores, to bridal gown shops to one of a kind boutiques, Rowan County can help you find what you’re looking for. All of our municipalities boast their own one of a kind shops and can make you feel right at home.
- Take a Ride on the Historic Salisbury Trolley: Explore Downtown Salisbury and a narrated tour of historic sites, such as the Cheerwine building, the Salisbury National Cemetery and film locations of popular movies and TV shows. Discover shopping, restaurants, theaters and public art.
- Have a Bite: After all this fun, you’re bound to need a bite. Rowan County is busting with local cuisine in more than 60 unique, local restaurants. Whether you’re looking for world famous barbeque, delicious pizzerias or fine dining, there’s something to fit every taste, budget and palate. Stick with us and we’ll have you eating like a local in no time.
- Stay a While: There’s far too much to do in Rowan County to not make it a weekend or extended trip. We’ve got lodging options that are just as authentic as the destination itself. Spend the night in a historic home turned bed and breakfast, turn in at one of our hotels, or even find yourself sleeping in the trees at our treehouse resort.
We hope you’ll find yourself in Rowan County in 2019, whether for the first time or the fifth, we know you’ll find plenty to do! If you're looking for specific events happening in Rowan County, check out our event calendar.
We’ll see you soon!